Sunday, May 23, 2010

Here

I wrote this in the Toronto airport while waiting to board my 15 hour flight. Now I’m safely in Cambodia, have had a good night’s rest, and had my first of many more mangoes.

“What’s the first thing I do when I fly into Toronto? Buy a pair of socks for 9 dollars. Despite the rather enticing pink stripes and fuzzy softness, I believe I just committed a sin. I’m going to Cambodia to help people acquire adequate nutrition and hygiene, and yet I’m buying socks, excuse me, ONE PAIR OF SOCKS, for 9 dollars. They will keep my feet warm for a 15 hour flight, but seriously? Oh Canada.

Aside from having to see what 3:30 am looks like and being grumpy over the 9 dollar pair of socks, I’d say I’m still incredibly excited about getting to Cambodia. It’s been a long time coming – a time filled with studying for finals and too many errands to Target – but I am almost there. I am almost about to forget what temperatures below 85 degrees feels like; I am almost about to forget what beef and cheese and bacon placed together between a bun tastes like; I am almost about to forget what talking to loved ones on a regular basis sounds like. There will be some sacrifices (with the most major one clearly being that there are not bacon cheeseburgers in Asia), but they are worth foregoing for a couple months. I’m excited to discover the feelings, tastes, and sounds that define life in Cambodia. “

Now that I’m here, the heat is oppressively hot. It’s 8 am and I’m sweating as if I am in a sauna. I definitely won’t be getting any burgers, only noodles and rice - my first Pad Thai last night was excellent. And surprisingly, communication so far with those back home has been remarkably easy and available. Thank the Lord for cell phones and skype. My sunscreen and bugspray experience this morning was less than pleasant, but it is definitely necessary. I avoided malaria in Kenya, now to keep it at bay here.

My partner in crime, Brekke, and I are about to head off to our first staff meeting and then out into the capital for groceries. This afternoon we will make the trek out into the field where will be stationed in a sleepy little town whose name I am still trying to pronounce correctly. I have a feeling the frustration I am experiencing with the language will not go away quickly. But I’ll keep trying! Stay tuned for how our first day went!

1 comment:

  1. The blog is receiving rave reviews here in Guatemala. People are busting doors down of internet cafes to read it. I hadto wait for two hours toeven read the first post. This is nuts...

    Reporting Live = Jeff Hood

    ReplyDelete