Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Noodles and Toothpaste

Things are coming together. I feel as if I am getting better acquainted with everything – the local staff here, what their jobs are and how that effects the job I do, as well as IRD’s involvement and activity in the field. I have been to two events in the past couple of days that have helped to provide me with a more firm understanding of how things work in Kampong Chhnang (there, I said it!)

On Tuesday morning, we attended a ceremony for those in the village that have successfully learned and implemented the strategies for increased nutrition taught by IRD. Various leaders in the community spoke, including village chiefs, program directors, and even a monk. The women (and some men!) that served as models to other in the community were given gifts for their leadership. And everyone got toothpaste! Deep appreciation to IRD was apparent as they thanked the organization over and over for its continued involvement and aid. As I looked out into the crowd of Cambodians, I was pleased to notice many of the children eating the fortified noodles that IRD helps to distribute. Mothers were also breastfeeding – another goal IRD set for children until 6 months of age. IRD seeks to not only change the habits of locals for improved health, but also seeks to prepare them to continue the project after IRD’s grant has run out. The hope is to reach a point of sustainability, that is, figuring out ways that Cambodians can continue what IRD has begun. Noodles and toothpaste are good signs.







This morning, we served as representatives for IRD at a community council meeting. While we were hardly adequate representatives considering we do not speak a word of Khmer, it was still very interesting and revealing to at least see how IRD is involved in local politics. With one of the IRD staff of the CS project relaying what was being discussed, we learned that the council was deliberating on school and education as well as how to best support disabled landmine victims. 7 villages were represented at the monthly gathering, with their representatives responsible for bringing information back to their own communities. And while most of the people present were indeed older men, there were a handful of women with opinions and voices with which to express them. I was very impressed at the lengths IRD goes to remain connected and relevant to the locals, as well as the lengths that the villages go to collectively take care of their community. The reciprocal relationship that I witnessed this morning between IRD and the villages of Kampong Chhnang was energizing and hopeful.




What was also energizing was the game of badminton that I played with some of the local staff. What I thought were parking spaces actually transform into a tennis court when the power goes out and no work can be done. They all flee outside to play games, eat jackfruit (a yellow fleshy fruit that taste like honeydew mellon), and relax on the bamboo swing. I undoubtedly provided some laughs and entertainment, seeing as how my badminton skills are severely lacking. But it felt good to be active, to laugh, and to begin the often hard task of forming relationships.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sara !! I hope everything thing is going well for you in Cambodia!Excuse me, i have to wipe my mouth.I have just finished my SECOND double cheeseburger w/ bacon for breakfast!A buck fifty all day, every day,at BK .Deelishioso!!I buy them by the bag full.How's the rice?
    Did i ever tell you i was the badminton champion in my gym class in my senior year of high school? It's true! I would be happy to give you some pointers if you so desire.
    We are all so proud of you Sara !! You are an amazing individual with so much to offer the world!!God bless you and keep on keepin' on!!
    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete